Saturday, July 11, 2009

Movie Files - Files Format

Alright, in this post I'll talk about file format for Movies and TV series. There are plenty of different formats for movie files. The most common one is audio video interleave (avi). Most of movies and TV series are in this format. Actually, there are several type of avi (such as DivX, XviD and so on), eventhough its extension is remain the same. But I'm gonna discuss about avi in general, not the different type of it. Personally, this is my favorite type of movies format. I will always download this format for a movies despite its size. The reason is because I can play this type of format directly using my DVD player, and watch it using my wide screen television. Normally, the size of this format for a movie is about 700 MB but lately group release (such as DEVISE,NoiR, SANTi, STG, CLUE and so on) often release 1.4 GB movies. Bigger size means longer time to download. I'll prefer the 700 MB size. For TV series, normally its size is about 350 MB for a 40 minutes episode.

Because of its size, we need a massive size of hard disk for storage. This is why other people prefers another format for movies file, which is .rmvb (stands for RealMedia Variable Bitrate). Normally for a movie, the size for rmvb format is about half of the same movie in avi format. Compares with avi, the quality for this type of format is slightly lower but it still worth for you to watch.

And also, there is another format that is quite often lately, which is .mkv (stands for Matroska Video). Its size is about the same with rmvb format but the quality is slightly better. If you're looking for a smaller size files, I'll suggest this format because it has better quality. Unfortunately, this format is unrecognized by my DVD player, so that it leaves me with no option to choose.

And of course there are another type of movie format such as mp4, mpeg, wmv and etc. but it's quite rare and hard to find. Besides, their quality will make you regret for downloading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment