Saturday, July 18, 2009

Winrar - Testing Archive Files

Actually, we can test the download archive file and make sure it is not corrupted right after the download process finished. I've always done this before proceed to the next archive file. If the first part is corrupted, then I'll stop proceeding to download the next part since my internet is limited. If you're using streamyx with unlimited usage, then you should have no problem to download all of it.

How to test the archive file? Refer the image below:

In the red box, you can see the 'Extract To' and 'Test' button. Just click the 'Test' button and Winrar will test the archive file. If you have complete part of archive files then it will tell you if there is an error of certain part. You will know which part is corrupted. If there is no error, then it will tell you 'No error found during test operation', like in this screenshot:

But if your archive file is corrupted, then you'll receive some error message, just like in my older post about corrupted files. Winrar will tell you which part is corrupted.

If you don't have complete set of archive files you still can test the files but you will get a pop up message asking to browse for the file. Take a look at this screenshot:

Note that if one of your archive file has different spelling then this message will appear too. You can browse for the file and it'll continue testing. This method also work for extracting.

If you haven't download the next part you can click 'cancel' and this message will appear:

The message just said that the file is corrupted but it didn't tell us which part. If you get this message, then you'll have no problem to extract the file. But this is still not completed. You may get an error file for the next part because you still didn't test the complete set of archive file. You may continue downloading the next part and tested it again until you've complete all part of it.

Like I've said before, I always tested the file after I've completed the first part. And if the first part is corrupted, then I won't download the next part. But if no errors found, then I'll continue downloading the next part. After downloading the second part is completed, then I'll test it again. At this time, no matter if there is an error or not, I'll continue download all part of it until complete. And then I'll use the 'Keep Broken File' method to extract the file. If the file isn't working, I'll have to delete all of them. No use to keep the broken file. But if I have unlimited usage of bandwidth, no need to test the archive file. Just download all part of it and I won't lose a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment